nature at its best...

Monday, August 15, 2011

food chronicles(appeared in Pune mirror 15 Aug 2011)

Food chronicles…

This affair began a long time ago in my life…a time when I was not aware of the long term effects of this association and how much satisfaction this relationship will bring my way….my affair with my taste buds…….

my first encounter with taste was quite a few years ago when I enjoyed eating a white piece of a delicacy which I remember as the first exotic exposure I had for my taste buds…my father tells me now that I had tasted fish for the first time….and that taste still continues to haunt me as ‘sea food fixation’…I feel at ease with fried fish,prawns biryani and solkadi around…as a subsidiary beer and biryani as a combination also leaves me speechless…(pun intended)

yet there are foods which are closer to ones heart…or rather stomach and turn ones emotions topsy turvy at any instance of confrontation with them….Bhel-Panipuri and the family members of the chat clan have this very effect on me as an individual…usually these food articles are associated with the evening as the most suitable time to gorge upon…but I have not limited myself to any such timelines and have shamelessly gulped down plates of those wonderful balls of wonder called ‘ puris’ filled with the nectar of the gods called humanly as ‘imli chatni-jeerajal’ at breakfast times and burped in pure satisfaction…I then classify this entire experience a ‘comfort zone’ prevalence!!!

My culinary expressions are so passionate as I have been exposed to some wonderful pieces of this art form because of my mother since childhood…I will feel humiliated in my own eyes if I feel like eating dahi-wada anywhere else than the ones prepared by my mother.Have you ever felt the wada melt in your mouth?I am sure you haven’t as you have not been fortunate recipients of this amazing dish..

Being a Punekar ,places like Vaishali,Bedekar Misal,Prabha Wada,Blue Nile and Marzorin are not mere eateries for me…they are places of worship where devotees pay respects to their ‘potoba’ and only then think about ‘Vithoba’…

As a mother I feel hugely gratified when my son Divij says he cannot think of eating the palak saag if ‘I’ have not prepared it…and Then I think the world has come to a full circle ….I joke that if the crow is not pecking the rice that has been offered for my soul after my last rites(a hindu funeral related custom),just utter one of the above mentioned dishes and my soul will rest in peace…I swear on my taste buds……

No comments: